My Info

Call to set up an appointment at 615-962-4163.

E-mail me at brittany_dyer@yahoo.com.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

God is Great All the Time

Yes, I have more ramblings from my recent trip to Haiti. I am sorry that I continue to post about Haiti, but I want those who want to know about my trip to have the details they want. So for the next few weeks, if you don't want to know about my trip, you don't have to read my blog!

Anywho, after we went to the Children's Home on Monday, as I talked about in my last post, then I went to teach English in a tent camp in Karade. It was amazing to see how eager they were to learn English. In America, we cringe every time we step into a required foreign language class, but these Haitians were excited to be able to communicate with others in a different way. I was helping with the intermediate English class, so most of them could already understand and speak English for the most part. The class occurs on Mondays and Wednesdays; the first hour is set aside for teaching English and the second hour is an optional Bible Study. To my amazement at the end of class on Monday, all of the students agreed that they would rather study the Bible in English both hours on both days (all 4 hours) and learn English through learning about the Bible! So the class is going through Genesis now in order to understand about Creation. There was a question about Darwinism and Evolution, so they decided they wanted to study Genesis, so they could compare Evolution to Creation. Ah-mazing!

We were able to go back for half of the class on Wed., so I was able to hear John teaching them about Creation. John is amazing at teaching the Bible. He is so knowledgeable and inspired me to get more in the Word to know the ins and outs of the Bible in order to can teach others more effectively.

Monday night started the first of three nights of leading a Discipleship Training at the church. By the end of the 3rd night, the training seemed to be a big hit! We taught them to discover where they were on their path with Christ, to determine where their strengths and weakness lie in being a disciple, and challenged them to be proactive in being a disciple. At the end, the majority of the people at the church had come up with 3-5 names of people they wanted to begin to disciple! It was awesome!

On Tuesday, we also got to experience visiting with church members. We went out into the community and visited with new believers and church members and prayed for them. To my surprise, they did not pray for food because they were hungry or healing because they were sick, they prayed for spiritual guidance and strength! They want to share the name of Jesus to those they know! They have nothing, but they do not care because they love Jesus and know that Jesus loves them!

We were also able to meet with the Haitian  ladies in the house that day. It was hard because none of them know English, so we had a communication barrier. The ladies were precious, and I am saddened because we were supposed to meet with them again on Wed., but were unable to because of that language barrier. They do not get much attention in the house, again because of the language barrier, and my prayer is that they will find a way to be included in the discipleship efforts much like the Haitian guys in the house. The Haitian guys do speak English, so they were able to communicate and have started a discipleship program. They also decided that they were going to start another ministry to help older adults-God Supports Adults Ministry. These guys pledged to give 15% of their weekly income to help people in wheelchairs and with special needs. We are talking about a country that lives on $1 a day, pledging 15% of their income to help others! I am speechless!

God is doing amazing things in Haiti!!

No comments:

Post a Comment